Our Happy Kitchen
LEMONGRASS PEPPER CHICKEN
3 chicken Maryland, deboned and skin removed, cut into 4cm square pieces, and seasoned with
6 potatoes peeled and quartered and left to soak in brine
6 stalks lemongrass (12cm) smashed flat
12 pc kafir lime leaves torn in half lengthwise
The Pepper Paste: Blend together to a fine paste.
1 tbsp white peppercorn and 1 tbsp black peppercorn (softened by soaking in warm water for 10 mins)
3 stalks lemongrass (strip off the layers and use only the tender core, about 5cm long)
1 large onion
6 pips garlic
fresh turmeric root about 4cm long
10 birds eye chillies
“belacan” shrimp paste about 4cm square
1 tsp salt and half cup cooking oil to facilitate the blending
1. Use a wok or a heavy pot which is suitable for slow simmer
2. Heat a little oil in a wok and slowly fry the pepper paste till fragrant and oil oozing from the paste. Add in the smashed lemongrass stalks and the potatoes to fry with the paste.
3. Add 3 cups water, stir well and allow to boil for about 10 minutes for the potatoes to cook.
4. Add chicken, continue to boil for 2 minutes, lower heat and simmer until potatoes are soft and chicken tender and cooked.
5. Now add 1 cup coconut milk and bring back to a boil and turn heat off. To season, add a dash of fish sauce and chicken granules. Finally add the kafir lime leaves just before turning off the heat.
Serving : The gravy should be soupy, a great dish to serve with fluffy white rice.